July 30, 2011
On Saturday July 30th 7 teenagers from our ward got in an automobile accident. They were driving too fast down a dirt road right by our house, the road has lots of pot holes and they must have hit one causing the car to roll a couple times. 3 kids didn't have seat belts on and were thrown from the car. One 15 year old boy, Gabe Hanson, died. The other two were life flighted and are going to be okay but still in the hospital. It's been very somber around here this last week, lots of tears, lots of heart ache. The Hanson family is an amazing family, one everyone looks up to and loves. Their son was no exception. The main reason why I'm blogging about this is to remember the way I've felt these past few days. It makes you want to hold your kids a little closer, be grateful for every single moment you have with them and be a better person so you don't have any regrets. I am so grateful for the gospel in my life. For the knowledge that I have of eternal families, there is absolutely no way I could get through such tragedy without this knowledge. I pray that I don't have to experience it first hand but if I do this knowledge would be one of the few comforting things. I pray that my kids can grow up to be half the kid that Gabe was and that I don't fail them as a mom in their lives. When I told my kids we were going to the funeral they both expressed that they wanted to go and see Gabe. Kenya said she wanted to give him a hug, not understanding what truly has happened but knowing there is a lot of sadness. On our way home from the park last night we stopped at the cemetery to see where he was buried.

This is the back of a headstone that belongs to a little baby boy of another family in our ward. It was right next to Gabe's. A great scripture to explain such a loss.Charlie has been praying for the families directly effected by this accident. Last night Mark said after he said his prayers Charlie told him, "I don't want to die but I think Heavenly Father might need me too." He will need you one day bud, I pray it is not before he needs me.
1 comment:
Oh Nik, how sad!!
It's amazing how quickly your life can change. And it's sad that it takes losing someone like that to realize how blessed you are.
I'm grateful for the knowledge of the gospel as well. Thanks for your testimony and your post :)
Post a Comment