Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wind Storm

On December 1st we had an unbelievable wind storm. About 2:00 am it started, Charlie came into our room scared, I gave him my ear plugs and he went back to bed pretty easily. I tossed and turned the rest of the night and at 6:00 am I decided to go to the class I love at the gym. It's just wind, we get bad wind all the time, I thought. On my way to the gym it became obvious that it was more than our normal "bad wind". The freeway was shut down, but I take the back roads so I made it there fine. I ran inside, almost getting blown away, just as the power starts to flicker, I am the only one there for the class, well me and the instructor. Umm yeah, I'm retarded. I decide I better just head home before things get worse. Another girl who is trying to leave says "I just tried to go out there and the wind slammed me against the building, I don't dare go out there!" So a few of us are wondering what to do and I decide to go for it. I ran out to my car, got in and realized it was freezing inside. I looked back and saw that two of the windows on the passenger rear side were shattered! I started my car and decided I better just try and make it home. By now I am kind of freaking out, what was I thinking?! Please just get me home safe, tears start coming, tree branches are blowing everywhere. Buses are pulling out of the bus parking lot and pulling over immediately because they look like they're about to topple over.

I get home and tell Mark what happens, let's just say he is not happy with me. The power is out and the wind is howling. We try to get on with our morning, tell Charlie he is not riding the bus to school, or even going to school for that matter. We later watch the bus drive by with one little kid on there (why are the buses running?! So stupid!) I run outside to get the milk and notice our grill is smashed on the cement below our deck where it was. I barely make it back in without being blown away. Then we notice our soffit and fascia is being ripped off under our covered porch, we watch as the recessed light comes out with it, then the speaker. Crazy. Next our swing set starts moving around, brand new, heavy metal swing set. The next thing we know it is blown over on it's side. Mark recruits our neighbor Jeff and they run out there to tie our swing set down and their tramp down better. Charlie is bawling, so scared but he can't tare his eyes away from what's going on out there. Kenya is just her happy little self, pretty much oblivious. Mark leaves to help neighbors who have broken windows and roofs blown down to the frame. We hide out in the basement where it is a little bit quiter and warmer with the fireplace and wait out the storm.
Around 12:00 the wind starts to die down a little. Mark never went in to work, he is out helping people for most of the afternoon. We were suppose to buy a new car that night, we decide to go out and test drive it anyway, in Salt Lake it was liken nothing even happened. Long story short we didn't buy that car, we found out it was in an accident. We get back home prepared to be sleeping in a cold dark house. Get the kids ready for bed, we're all going to sleep in the basement where the fire is the most efficient. Charlie was acting scared about it, Kenya was excited, and I was a little too. Just as we're getting them settled in their sleeping bags the power goes back on. We were shocked they got it back on so quick (not the case for many others, 24-48 hours plus for a lot.) They both were upset that we had them go back to their rooms to go to bed. One crazy storm, the winds got up to 100 mph. A good lesson on preparedness. We will be getting a generator now and stocking up on a few more essentials.


Jeff and Mark staking down our swing set.



One of my shattered windows.


Massive trees were blown over everywhere. This one was just resting on this house. I love the little old ladies in the corner looking at it.

It was amazing to see all the people in our community come together on Saturday to help clean up. Then on Sunday the forecast called for another wind storm, not as bad but there was a lot of debris that could have potential to cause a lot of damage. We went to sacrament at 9:00 and the bishop said church would be canceled after sacrament so we could go home, figure out who needed help, report to leaders about it, and go out and clean up and fix what needed to be fixed. Absolutely amazing what was accomplished that day all over Davis County. I heard it saved the county about 2 million dollars in clean up. What a great community we live in.

No comments: