So this next picture is where the grrrr comes from. I don't know if it's her age or the new baby, probably some of both but she is getting quite the attitude sometimes. Not listening as well, more tantrums and more defiant. I'm not liking it and I'm also not liking my shortage of patience, so it's something I'm truly trying to improve on.
Almost every day I make a "green" smoothie for my kids. It's mostly fruit but it has a lot of spinach in it too which you can't really taste. It's important to me that they drink it because it's the easiest way to get a lot of fruit and veggies. Well occasionally they put up a fit about it and today when I told Kenya to come drink her smoothie while I made lunch she picked it up off the table and said "I don't like a smoothie, I want lunch!!" I calmly said "You need to drink your smoothie first." Then she says "I don't like a smoothie!!" and as she's throwing the cup full of green smoothie I'm yelling "Don't you dare!!" Too late, smoothie all over my kitchen floor, rug, and cupboards. Patience right? I put her directly in time out so I could take a few breaths instead of yelling at her. After a couple minutes I had her help me clean it up and explained to her what she did wrong and that it was unacceptable. She went back to time out and when she said sorry she came out and drank a smoothie (she wasn't getting out of that. :))
Patience is HARD. I've had to stop a couple times today and take some deep breaths to stop me from yelling. But I really want to be a calmer mom so here's to deep breaths!
Almost every day I make a "green" smoothie for my kids. It's mostly fruit but it has a lot of spinach in it too which you can't really taste. It's important to me that they drink it because it's the easiest way to get a lot of fruit and veggies. Well occasionally they put up a fit about it and today when I told Kenya to come drink her smoothie while I made lunch she picked it up off the table and said "I don't like a smoothie, I want lunch!!" I calmly said "You need to drink your smoothie first." Then she says "I don't like a smoothie!!" and as she's throwing the cup full of green smoothie I'm yelling "Don't you dare!!" Too late, smoothie all over my kitchen floor, rug, and cupboards. Patience right? I put her directly in time out so I could take a few breaths instead of yelling at her. After a couple minutes I had her help me clean it up and explained to her what she did wrong and that it was unacceptable. She went back to time out and when she said sorry she came out and drank a smoothie (she wasn't getting out of that. :))
Patience is HARD. I've had to stop a couple times today and take some deep breaths to stop me from yelling. But I really want to be a calmer mom so here's to deep breaths!
3 comments:
Sort of laughing at this. Let me know when you figure out the patience thing. I need help too.
Kenya's little outfit is so cute! I need a little help in the patience area too... ok maybe a lot!! Hope everything else is going well!
Bless you for consciously telling yourself to be patient!! Sometimes it's extremely difficult to be patient when kids are testing their limits/boundaries. You're a good mom.
xo
Post a Comment